Since the bacterial strain is not yet linked to a particular source, the CDC urge everyone to be more careful when caring for Bearded Dragons. Researchers claim that despite the fact your particular Bearded Dragon appears to be fit as a fiddle, it could still be shedding harmful bacteria. Thus it is recommended you wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling your Bearded Dragon. Your lizards should also not be allowed to access the kitchen, sinks and bathtubs. In addition, children under the age of 5 should be prevented from interacting with these lizards as they are more at risk of deadly side effects from the bug.
It is a relief that no one has died from the recent salmonella outbreak, although 42 per cent of people have ended up being hospitalised. The majority of these patients being small children. If you or any of your family members have come into contact with a Bearded Dragon recently and are showing symptoms of salmonella (fever, headaches, cramps, diarrhea) then we urge you to consult your doctor immediately! Furthermore, for owners of Bearded Dragons, we suggest to have your pet be checked up by your local vet to ensure they are not harboring the harmful bacteria.